If you are thinking of decorating your room and wondering what decoration items to use, wonder no more. Shag area rugs are the perfect decoration pieces that you can add to any room and make it magnificent.
These types of rugs were there in the 1960s and 1970s, but now, they are making a significant comeback into the market again. In fact, they are quite popular as they blend in well with any theme, from traditional to contemporary.
Shag rugs make a room look modern without necessarily overpowering the available space. They come in a variety of shapes, styles, sizes, and colors. You will always find a shag area rug that will fit your room requirements.
The following are some guidelines to help you in the purchasing and decorating of shag area rugs:
- The first thing that you need to know is the size of the area that you want to decorate. The last thing you want is buying a shag rug only to find that it is too small for the intended area, or it is too big, and you have to adjust it again. If the rug is of the wrong size, it will make it look like a rushed last-minute addition.
- It is essential that you consider the placement of furniture in the room. Buy a shag rug that will tie all the furniture in uniformity.
- If you place the rug on a hardwood floor, ensure that you leave some space around the perimeter of the rug, that is, at least 8 inches.
- If you are decorating the living room, ensure that the rug is large enough that people sitting on the couch can place their legs on the rug. The front legs of the sofas should also touch the rug.
- Shag rugs in the dining area should be of a considerable size. Follow the rules for a perfect dining room rug, such that when you pull out the dining chairs, all the four legs should touch the rug.
- When purchasing shag rugs for the bedroom, it is best if you buy several small ones as opposed to buying one large piece. You can buy at least three pieces. Place two on each side of the bed and one at the foot of the bed.
- In cases where you want to decorate a room that is already furnished, use a shag rug that will blend in with the already existing theme.
- When it comes to choosing colors, it is essential to know the purposes for each shade of colors. Use lighter colors if you want to make the room look spacious. Darker colors make a place look cozy and feel warm.
- A round shag rug is best used in the center of the room as it creates a focal point.
- If you have busy wall decorations, do not use a shag rug with a busy pattern as it will create competition and make the room look awkward.
- When purchasing a shag rug, have the doorways in mind. Do not buy a shag rug that covers the space at the door such that each time the door opens, it rubs against it.
If you follow the above tips, you will surely get a beautiful shag rug and even enjoy its usage. If you do not already own a shag rug, it is time to get out in the market and acquire one to keep up with the current trend.